Tirrith
Hi Everyone,

I play against Mr. Harper on a regular basis and I will be updating this thread as a record of our Warbands and games etc...

We have a game set up tonight and as I am trialling one of the new heroes we decided to go 5 man Warbands and use Blind Pick. So we just rock up with our 5 hereos, roll up a map and go for it!

Rather than my usual Elf dominated Warband I am going for a tanky force today, and for one of the first times I am going in with no dedicated Soulgazer!

My Warband:

Thorgar, Zaffen, Loribela, Thrommel and Mystery hero (Ettin Mystic...) Sorry for the tease but we cannot spoil the new hero completely yet. Not far away though! [smile]
Quote 3 0
Guns
This is awesome guys! Harper, post your Warband dude! 🙂
Quote 0 0
Sharper
I have been sticking to the same list bar recently making slight tweaks. I'll be bringing the following tonight. 

Rakkir, Thorgar, Zaron, Bastian and Haksa instead of Styx. I'd like to ban Zaffen from Jeff's list [smile] but obviously won't be able to this time around. 

I'm keen to see this new Ettin in action and a non soulgazer list in action. 

The 2 Dwarves are going to be a pain to deal with especially given Zafgen can sit so far back and still hammer me
Quote 0 0
Guns
Why are you guys not playing pick n ban?
Quote 0 0
Sharper
Just something different. Means Jeff can build the list to include the Ettin. 
Quote 0 0
Tirrith
We can do pick n ban, as long as you don't ban Ettin!
Up to you.
Quote 0 0
Sharper
I easy either way. If we go pick and ban I'll add in Zhonjya and Thrommel.
Quote 0 0
Tirrith
Was an epic game!
Warbands:
Harper (Thorgar, Rakkir, Zaron, Haksa and Bastian) V Tirrith (Thorgar, Zaffen, Thrommel, Loribela and Ettin).

Not going to give a full battle report but the game was fast and furious with heroes getting killed on both sides. We rolled map 4, with Inferno in the centre, and he wreaked havoc! [smile] I mixed things up regarding magical items in this game. Gave Loribela Boots of Speed, Thorgar Boots of Agility and Ettin the Vorpal Blade. Both of us had multiple heroes on level 3.

A couple of crucial events:
My Thorgar was almost dead, surrounded by enemy models, he charged Gloom, killed him and upgraded his Boots of Agility to Healing Surge and drank it, restoring him back to full health! [smile]
At one stage Simon's Rakkir rolled 11 on his poison attack against Ettin which really screwed up my activation order.
Zaron failing to capture a Soul on 6 hurt.
Simon made an error with Zaron, who was holding 2 Souls, he decided to create a skeleton instead of retreating. Ettin has a special power versus heroes carrying Souls and killed Zaron.

This swung the game out of Simon's reach. Harper went a little too slow in this game and we were using time as it was late, he timed out, so we just called it a draw. 

Was an excellent game, very clean and tactical.
Quote 0 0
Sharper

So to expand on the report Jeff put above:

We ended up using pick and ban (except that I couldn't ban the Ettin character obviously)

Jeff took Thrommel, Loribela, Allandir, Zaffen, Thorgar, someone that he dropped and the new Ettin guy. I banned Allandir though in hindsight probably should have dropped one of the Dwarves as 3 of them are tough as nails to deal with.

I picked as my 7 Rakkir, Thorgar, Zaron, Bastian, Zhonyja, Thrommel and Haksa. Jeff banned Zhonyja and I dropped Thrommel. This was a tough call as no defenders makes it's tougher for your aggressors upfront.

We rolled up map 4 so 2 glooms, inferno in the middle, a shrone to one side and the soulpit to the other.

I won the roll and went first. I setup so that I could take down gloom with Thorgar, Zaron lined up against the soulpit and my other 3 heroes went to the shrine.

Jeff setup his side for his Thorgar to also take down gloom with Ettin in support and the 3 dwarves were ready to come up the soulpit side.

I killed gloom with Thorgar and took the leech sword (this is something I've been wanting to try for a while on someone like Zhonyja or Thorgar. It proved to be a useful item with regen as well. It allowed Thorgar to run pretty hot upfront and take some damage then heal most of it back by himself.) Zaron ran up close to the soulpit but also staying away from inferno, he also dropped a shadow token in case Rakkir needed to switch sides at a later stage. Haksa and Bastian ran up to contest the shrine and Rakkir ran to support them.

Jeff charged gloom with Ettin, did some damage but bounced off and then moved up to contest the shrine. Thorgar finished him off and took the boots of agility (I've done this before with Thorgar and found it an ok item but not fantastic, I think it's a better option if you are up against a more ranged force or the supporter/defender style list where attack values are generally lower.) Thrommel ran up towards the soulpit, Zaffen moved into a position to start attacking next turn and Loribella grabbed the boots of speed on her way through to support the other 2 Dwarves.

Inferno went into Thrommel and hit him for a bit of damage. This monster really makes you think about positioning as his damage output is scary. 

Thorgar went into Thrommel and hammered him for a bit of damage but also tied him up. Zaron grabbed the soul with Thorgar within 2. Bastian hit Thorgar for some damage and moved him out to 3". Jeff retaliated by hitting Thorgar with Thrommel, his Thorgar moved back into 2 and hit Bastian for some damage. Ettin charged into Inferno to try and push him towards Zaron, however a Judgement roll meant he knocked him down and put a heap of damage on him. Jeff went for the kill instead and took 1 fate and the vorpal blade. I can't remember what Loribella did here but I think it was maybe throwing a barrel at Zaron for some damage. Rakkir just re-positioned. Haksa dropped a voodoo idol and moved closer into the shrine.

This turn was where I made the huge mistake with Zaron. I had Thorgar within 2 of the soul and Gloom coming back within 2" of him and not many boxes left but I chose to raise a skeleton to make the soulgaze roll a 4 instead of 5. I should have just gazed the soul then teleported back to the effigy as I would now be L3 and was already base to base with a shadow token anyway. This would have saved me 2 souls that I could bank next turn. Instead I stayed there and Jeff used Ettin to move in and use his fate ability to kill Zaron (it's a great ability) giving him a soul as well. Jeff's Thorgar killed his gloom again after taking a bunch of damage from Haksa's idol and Bastian last turn. He used this fate to get the healing potion, however couldn't use it this turn as it took an action. Rakkir ported into Ettin, hit him once and used his fate roll to do 11 damage. This left Ettin on 15 boxes, still a heap but within reach for Rakkir (I also realised later I forgot that Zaron explodes so gloom and Ettin should have taken damage from this) if he could get 3 crits. I think I killed Loribela this turn as well.

Next turn I had a problem, do I use Rakkir first to try and kill Ettin before he kills Rakkir or do I use Bastian to finish off Thorgar before he heals. I had to go with Rakkir as given his position Ettin was threatening my effigy as well as Zaron who just came back. So I hit him 3 times, first time with 5 dice as Gloom was within reach, shifted out of range and got 6 dice on the next 2 attacks. 3 crits later I had him dead and used my L2 innate ability to port back to my effigy and safety. Thorgar healed and killed Bastian. Everything else in the middle was a mess with heroes just wailing on each other basically.

The next 2 turns were fairly uneventful with both of us just doing damage and maybe some hero swaps. I failed 2 turns in a row for Zaron to gaze souls through his skele, first time on a 7 and 2nd on a 6! This was annoying as he was in B2B with his effigy so could have gazed and banked in the same turn. We ended up calling it here as Jeff said, it was late and using time I had run out. I think it 2 souls a piece at that point but could have easily been higher for either of us had some rolls gone differently. It was a great game, not really cagey but a bloody fight where no one really got the upper hand at any stage. Had Zaron banked the 2 souls then it would have swung towards me but had I not rolled an 11 I think Ettin would have been almost impossible to deal with. I can't wait for him to come out, very good character with some great abilities and the model is going to be awesome.

Quote 1 0
Tirrith
Game tonight against Harper. I am trialling two of the new heroes, Brok (Dwarf defender) and S&B (supporter).

My Warband: Istariel, Rakkir, Thrommel, Bastian, Brok, S&B, Saiyin.

Can't wait!
Quote 0 0
Sharper
Good list, not sure who I'll be banning.

I'm bringing: Rakkir, Zhonyja, Thorgar, Haksa, Styx, Kruul and Zaron
Quote 0 0
Guns
I would either ban Saiyin or one of the Aggressors. There is a lot of strategy around pick 'n' ban, and I am not an expert at it yet either however when there is overlap, like 2 defenders or 2 supports, I tend to leave them alone when banning. Since your opponent's list already had inherent backup in that area. In Jeff's Warband you can dictate that he does not have a Soulgazer or leave him with just a single aggressor. So they would be the two areas I would look at.

Very interested in hearing who you actually ban and how it works out for you.

Guns
Quote 0 0
Sharper
So I banned Istariel which in hindsight was a huge mistake. Jeff banned Thorgar.

So Jeff dropped Thrommel and I dropped Kruul leaving me with Zhonyja and Rakkir. Saiyin made S&B immune to poison and fury which totally threw off my game plan as Zhonyja has a shot at killing him in 1 turn given her high melee vs his low agility. 

I lost 5-2 after being down 4-0. Made a couple of small mistakes during the game, 1 was swapping places with Saiyin (Styx's ability) and leaving her within 4" of the soulpit so she could harvest and bank (2 souls) on the same turn before dying. She would have died instead giving me a major soul swing. I also forgot that Bastian hadn't activated and charged Zaron into Saiyin instead of running to hold the shrine and in the same turn was too greedy with Haksa trying to get Brok within 3" but not inside of 2. I could have done this whilst touching the other shrine, instead I gave Jeff a total of 5 fate to 0 in the next turn. This meant I really couldn't get back into the game easily as ZHonyja and Rakkir need this to kill models (especially ones like S&B). Though I managed to pull it back a little being down 4-0 on souls with 2 already banked in the effigy is really hard to overcome. 
Quote 0 0
Guns
Yeah if you are running both Zhonjya and Rakkir, then Saiyin is kind of a priority ban. 🙂

Once she gains levels and can bank souls from anywhere then you are pretty much on the clock to end the game or it is GG. If I don't ban her then I simply focus her as number 1 priority to kill. Killing a Soulgazer really slowed then down. Takes at least 2 activations to get anywhere near harvesting another soul. 

I have not faced Zhonjya with SnB yet however yeah she will destroy him. 👍
Quote 0 0
Tirrith
Looking forward to tonight's game! Will be trialling the 3rd of the new heroes, Viktor, he is an aggressor.
Warband: Viktor, Nephenee, Istariel, Marcus, Doenrakkar, Styx, Kruul.let's call him Gary
Quote 1 0

Judgement - The 54mm scale, MOBA inspired, table-top miniatures game

https://judgement.game