JudgementDay_Alex
We had our first Judgement tournament for the Pacific Northwest on Monday, May 27th, Memorial Day. Nine players attended and four rounds were prepared, but only 3 were required as the pair-down lost their match. The first two of the three rounds were on Cobblestone (maps 3 and 6) and the final round was on Scorched Earth map 1.

Warbands taken
1RichardKvartoRakkirIstarielSaiyinSkyeHaksaThorgar
2BrandonAllandirBastianIstarielPiperSaiyinMarcusThorgar
3RayBastianHaksaNepheneeSkyeStyxThorgarZhonyja
4BenAllandirBrokDoenrakkarGendrisLoribelaSvetlanaZhonyja
5DerekZhonyjaViktorNepheneeJaegarKruulStyxSharn
6AsherBastianZhonyjaThorgarIstarielKruulMarcusAllandir
7BartlowStyxMarcusLoribelaZaffenKvartoXyveraThorgar
8AbdulKoganThorgarDoenrakkarZaronRakkirSkollBastian
9RobAllandirBastianBrokDoenrakkarKoganRakkirSkye

Ray took first place with Ben in second and Derek in third. We had a very intense mix of warbands with a 28 out of 31 available heroes in the range being taken. Only Barnascus, Thrommel, and Lord Fazeal were not in warbands. The breakout of total uses by hero is as follows:

Allandir - 4
Bastian - 5
Brok - 2
Doenrakkar - 3
Gendris - 1
Haksa - 2
Istariel - 3
Jaegar - 1
Kogan - 2
Kruul - 2
Kvarto - 2
Loribela - 2
Marcus - 3
Nephenee - 2
Piper - 1
Rakkir - 3
Saiyin - 2
Sharn - 1
Skoll - 1
Skye - 3
Styx - 3
Svetlana - 1
Thorgar - 6
Viktor - 1
Xyvera - 1
Zaffen - 1
Zaron - 1
Zhonyja - 4

Seeing Thorgar in 6 out of 8 warbands didn't really surprise me. He's a popular choice locally and does tons of damage combined with a lot of movement utility in a very durable package. As you'll see below, he wasn't banned much, either. Second place was Bastian at 5, which also doesn't surprise me at all since he's in the starter pack and he's just a beast on 5v5, especially in melee heavy warbands, which is what most of the field was, beside Allandir and Istariel having a big presence, but Zaffen and Viktor were only taken once each. One other interesting tidbit is that 7 total soulgazers were taken and all of them were taken at least once, meaning that only one Warband didn't have a soulgazer and that was the winning one, Ray's, which had a very potent melee force combined with supporters with high soul harvest stats. I don't think this says anything about soulgazer strengths, (they're very good), but shows that you can be successful without them as well.

Bans throughout the tournament (there was a bye round 1 and a drop after round 1, so keep that in mind):
Allandir - 7
Doenrakkar - 4
Brok - 2
Haksa - 2
Styx -2
Thorgar - 2
Zhonyja - 2
Jaegar - 1
Kvarto - 1
Loribela - 1

I'm not surprised at all to see Allandir banned so much. Most of us like to play pretty clumped up and he just has a field day with that. I am surprised by Doenrakkar being banned so many times, and Abdul had his banned from him all three rounds. The rest of it was very even and all are potent models that make sense for a ban when looking at the warbands.

The event was a total blast and I can't wait to host the next one, probably some time in early to mid July. I'll post back here as soon as I have details!

Thanks for reading and please continue to tune into our Judgement Day podcast for more Judgement content!

https://audioboom.com/channels/4991464/episodes

Quote 5 0
KC
very informative and worthwhile 
Quote 0 0
Mad_dasher
Thanks for posting these. Also for, you know, running the event! I am thinking now I might be a little more prone to ban Thorgar. He did way too much work against me in two of my games. 
Quote 1 0
JudgementDay_Alex
Mad_dasher wrote:
Thanks for posting these. Also for, you know, running the event! I am thinking now I might be a little more prone to ban Thorgar. He did way too much work against me in two of my games. 

No problem, man! Thanks for coming!

I went through a period where I was banning Thorgar any time I saw him because he kept ruining me. Now I've let him come through a bit more, but I tend to just hyper-focus him down now. Any time your opponent thinks their Thorgar is safe, you have to try to make him not safe any longer and put on lots of pressure or he just runs the table, especially if they have fate and/or heals.
Quote 0 0
Bobliness

I'm interested that Bastian was basically never banned. 

I'm very used to seeing him banned a lot. 
Allandir is an interesting ban, he's not getting a huge amount of play here, so i'm interested to build a warband for him and get some games in with him

Quote 0 0
JudgementDay_Alex
Bobliness wrote:

I'm interested that Bastian was basically never banned. 

I'm very used to seeing him banned a lot. 
Allandir is an interesting ban, he's not getting a huge amount of play here, so i'm interested to build a warband for him and get some games in with him

I also find that interesting. I ban him quite often, especially playing any elves since he really helps get them killed, plus the 3 soul pit map is heaven for him.
Quote 0 0

Judgement - The 54mm scale, MOBA inspired, table-top miniatures game

https://judgement.game