Nightflier
Heres something ive been wanting to write for a little while and currently have a bit of time to get it started. 

For a little while now ive noticed that I've had a different view on the game than most other people, and I think its primarily due to the fact ive seen myself as much better MOBA player than a Miniture games player (this isnt to say im good at either just im a bit more confident in my moba play). In fact it was one of the reasons I was drawn to the game so much. So i figured i could write it down as some people might find it interesting or useful for their own gameplay. 

So what does playing Judgment from the point of view of a MOBA actually look like? 

First off heres something thats a quite a bit more relatable to the average gamer. Phases of the Game. Ive identified 3 distict phases I think most players understand but perhaps havent really defined. 

Setup Phase. This is the first turn of the game. As the opposing player is too far away this is the easiest turn to plan ahead for. This being said its also is considered its own phase as misplays and disruptive efforts from your oppenent can have drastic ripple on the rest of the game. This is very similar to your first couple of minutes or pre ultimate phase in a moba where you would likely have your exact movements, leveling, and item Purchases meticulously preplanned and prepared to a dregree far outweighing the rest of the game because similarly early misplays can and will cost you dearly. 

So what are some of these early game plays you might use for your setup phase? Common ones include setting up a monster kill for a hero you want to set up before the rest of the game, Securing shrine defenses, and deciding whether or not to buy an item from your effigy on a character you feel particularly wants it. It can also include postioning aggrssors and setup characters for 2nd turn engagements, preparing your soulgazer to grab a soul, and various disruptive efforts such as stealing a monster kill or pushing/cursing a shrine holder to actually capture a shrine instead of just contest it. 

The second phase I like to refer to as the Soul collection phase. This is the part of the game where most people will win or lose. This is often turns 2 and 3 (but can go longer) and will last until one person is at 3 or 4 souls. This phase is most simialr to the laning and team fight phases of a MOBA. This is the part of the game when most people think of the game this is what they think of. Every character doing the job they are expected to, agressors trying to score kills, soulgazers attempting to grab souls, supports setting up kills or using movement abilities to Premier effect. Mastery at this phase of thr game will see you to victory often. 

The Endgame is the last phase. This is generally happens when 1 or both players get to a place where an effigy kill is on the table. (Or a soul Or two is all that's needed to close out a game). Generally one player will have an advantage and will be the one trying to close out a game. The other player will generally be desperately trying to not loose. Occasionally when being in the disadvantaged position the best call is to shoot for chances to close out the game yourself or go after a target holding 2 or more souls, even if the odds are a little long. This phase is most simialr to when a team has pushed into the base area and players throwing themselves at the enemy team trying to slow them down.

Later on I'll add warband construction theory from this point of view and possibly go into 
Individual hero analysis if i fnd the time
Quote 3 0
Nightflier
alright lets start getting some words down for this MOBA inspired Warband construction.  Disclaimer, at the time of writing this, this is not a prefered method of building a warband, though you'll find aspects of it here and there. 

The main diffrence between Moba inspired and standard warband composition theories is that Moba inspired places a far greater emphasis on character mastery and Role filling and leaves character combos as almost an afterthought. 

This accomplishes a few things for you. Moba inspired tends to be little easier to pick up early on, a well tuned warband in this fashion will be extremely difficult to ban, as well as couple of side benefits I'll get into in a bit. Now some of the more experienced players might be wondering why I think this method is easier to pick up then the standard combo focused method. Well here's a thought exercise. You have 2 players going to their first 3v3 tourney with pick and bans. Both have been playing for a few months and have a pretty good handle on the rules by now. However one person proxies often and doesnt have a ton of experience with 1 particular model but owns a couple of solid combos everyone says is good (lets go Bastian Brok Skoll and Istariel Kvarto) and while they've given a band a run a few times in preparation and know the basics of heros well enough, they're primarily running the band because it's what people say is good. The other however only own the models from the starter kit and perhaps one other model they saw and fell in love with (lets go with Thorgar cause who doesnt love a cow with a giant axe) because they wanted to do a number of demos for some friends. However they also have started to attain a level of mastery with thier heros because they only play with models they own on vassal and/or dont like to proxy. And from having played throgar in every match he wasn't banned they've picked up and gotten The hang of the intricacies of mancatcher and enraged slam. They have also had enough experience with Bastian that they know he'll get killed quick if hes commited too early and they have a really solid grasp on the entirety of his abilities, and so on and so forth. And what happens at the tourney? For the first player Bastian is the obvious ban target and they're stuck with 3 characters that arent super synergistic and even if Bastian does make it through often its a trap and they get him killed often due to tunnel vison on the combo. And while the other players probably not massively successful,  they face up against players who have months to years of experience over them but are still able to give a good game with lots of back and forth due to the fact they are nearly as confident in their own models as their oppenent is and they have solid well balanced list with no really obvious weakness. 

And while this is probably a bit more hyperbole than reality i think the point is valid, mastery of a handful of models and a well balanced list will great you with alot of sucess compared to always chasing the next combo and not taking the time to really learn your models. 

And before I move on i want to be sure that im clear in saying, I am in no way implying that proxying models is bad. In fact the truly 100% free rules, print and play section and general encouragement to test stuff out before buying in is one of the best aspects of the game. 

Now lets dig into the theory a bit more and what it has to offer someone who has a bit more expecience.

Lets start with some definitions
What I call mastery is when I feel i have reached a level of familiarity with a character that I wouldn't feel disadvanged with said character due to level of experience, even against someone who is a renowned player of said model (like if i were to bring Rakkir against game designer Andrew "Guns" Galea, however if I were to bring Thorgar against Georg "M4gnetic" Buscha I would feel a slightly disadvanted as ive only played him a few times). Another marker that a level of mastery has been achieved is when you figure out some alternate playstyles if a character is played in a certain way or with certain items. Great examples of this is vorpal blade Doenrakkar playing the tanky bruiser or Rakkir with agi boots playing shrine holder. 

The other half is Role Filling. Now this is more than just based on classes (though it's a great start) as there are generally multiple roles in each class and often those roles are present in more than one class. For example in the aggressor class I'll often categorize a character as a Tanky Brawler, DPS, tank buster, assassin, Shrine holder, Utility or Kill Confirm. Something important about this is that not only are roles (usually) non-exclusive to classes but most characters are capable of filling multiple roles, often at the same time. 

Important note. What roles exist and what character are capable of filling said role is often subject to personal oppinon and will take time fleshing out yourself.

So let's put tbe theory into practice by analysing a well tuned warband I have used. 

This is my warband from the vassal league season 2 playoffs and while I did loose my first match, was very successful in the prep up to it and afterwards (3-0 in prep including beating the season winner). 

Note this was pre-patch 7

The warband was Rakkir, Fazeal, Istariel, Jaegar, Styx, Thrommel, Svetlanna

So with Rakkir i had an Assassin/shrine control/tank buster, Fazeal brought dps and a Tanky bruiser, as well as a nice off-setup. Istariel was another tank buster, off pathfinder and a kill confirm, Jaeger was a setup, kill confirm, pathfinder, soul strip, debuff, and off soul gazer, Styx was a Monster control, off-kill confirm, off-shrine control, off-soul gazer and positioning adjustor, Thrommel was another Tanky bruiser, tank, off-setup, off-shrine control, and effigy defender. And finally svetlanna was a soul gazer, tank, monster control and pathfinder.

If you'll go through you find that most things Innthe list is doubled up or are a side effect that can be lived without, and the main list weakness was the low ammount of true set up in the list. (Thrommel probably should have been Marcus for various reasons looking back) 
Quote 2 0

Judgement - The 54mm scale, MOBA inspired, table-top miniatures game

https://judgement.game